Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Halloween Whoopie Pies

I needed something easy to make for a Halloween treat.  I've been baking French macarons almost every chance I get.  Why?  Because I have a macaron baking obsession.  Or maybe it's an addiction.  Whatever you call it, I wanted a little reprieve to try something new and simple.  Something that wouldn't make my head hurt from overthinking the process and techniques.  Something that I could pull off with one try. And something that wasn't pumpkin-flavor.  I LOVE pumpkin.  Pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin bread, pumpkin curry, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin cheesecake, you name it.  But, MAC won't eat it.  He doesn't like the flavor.  Not even a little.  I still ask him every year if he'll share a piece of pumpkin pie with me, hoping that, by some miracle, his picky taste buds changed their minds.  I always get the same answer, "No, I don't like pumpkin." I will always be in denial of this very sad fact.  


So, in my search for a special Halloween treat we would both like, I came across this recipe for Halloween Whoopie Pies on Food and Wine.  It contains chocolate, check!  Cake, check!  Marshmallows, check!  I knew these babies would be perfect.



I have never had a whoopie pie before.  Neither has MAC.  But, I've always been intrigued by their moist, chocolate-y pillows of cake, and fluffy, white marshmallow-y creme filling.  I love a good chocolate cake. The marshmallow filling is just an added bonus.      


This recipe has a bit of a trick and a treat.  Let me tell you about the trick first.  It's really not that big a deal, but just play along with me for the sake of that popular Halloween motto.  TRICK: you won't really be able to roll the edges of your whoopie pies in the nonpareils.  You don't really want your filling to be that close to the edge, otherwise it'll ooze out later, all over your chin, and no one has to know you've been pigging out on whoopie pies all day (and you will), do they? So, don't do it.  But, the real trick?  The real trick is trying to keep all those little nonpareils from escaping from you.  Those suckers are bouncy!  I'm still finding some stow-aways on my countertop.  Now for the TREAT: for something so delicious and "mmmm!"-inducing, these pies are so simple to make! Trust me, it's foolproof.  Try it, you'll see.


Halloween Whoopie Pies
Adapted from Food and Wine
Makes 8 Whoopie Pies

Cakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.  Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In an stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter with the brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.  At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients and buttermilk in 3 alternating additions. Scrape down the side and bottom of the bowl as necessary.

2. Using a 3-tablespoon ice cream scoop, scoop 8 level mounds onto each baking sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake the cakes in the lower and upper thirds of the oven for about 16 minutes, until risen and firm; shift the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. Transfer the sheets to racks and let the cakes cool completely.

Marshmallow Creme Filling:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
One 7.5 ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff
Orange and Black nonpareils

1. In a stand mixer, beat the butter with the powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the Marshmallow Fluff. Scrape the filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip.

2. Pipe the filling onto the flat sides of 8 of the cakes and sandwich with another cake, pressing to evenly distribute the filling to the edges. Roll the edges in orange nonpareils and serve.  The assembled whoopie pies can be refrigerated in an airtight container between sheets of wax paper for up to 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. Who doesn't love pumpkin! I don't think I can be friends with someone who doesn't love it. And I know what you mean about the nonpareils. I find myself stepping on a few for a couple of days after using them.

    ReplyDelete