Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lychee Compote with Raspberries and Champagne Gelée


Everyone knows the best way to kick off a NYE party is with a tall glass of sweet bubbly.  But, what if you could have your champagne and eat it too?  You can do exactly that with this yummy, boozy dessert.  It's got champagne and all its tiny bubbles in a jiggly-jello form.  It's like a jello shot, but with class.  OK, I'm sorry I said that.  I've had a few jello shots in my past, I admit.  But, once you taste the champagne gelée in this dessert, you'll never want to force those vodka laced jello cubes down your throat again. The sweetness of the lychees and slight tartness of the raspberries lend this dessert a refreshing finish, perfect for following that enormous last-meal-of-the-year you'll be having later tonight.  I feel stuffed just thinking about it.




With the year coming to a close, I haven't yet reflected on 2013.....until now.  What can I say about it?  Well, without being too harsh, it was definitely an unremarkable year for me.  Nothing like 2012, or 2011, or 2010, for that matter.  Even 2009 was quite a difficult year in my books, but I'd much prefer it over 2013.  Not that I expected much from a year that ends in a number some people believe to be unlucky.  So, I'm very happy to see it go.  But, in the spirit of optimism, there were a few highlights for me - I travelled to Asia for the first time, to Taiwan in particular; MAC and I celebrated our 1-year anniversary; and I started a fun, new hobby, which in turn led to the start of this blog!  So, alright...I guess 2013 turned out somewhat OK.  But, I'm really looking forward to the clock striking twelve tonight so I can give MAC a big smooch and welcome in 2014.  I wish all of you the best for the new year - the best love, the best health, and of course, the best eats!  




Lychee Compote with Raspberries and Champagne Gelée
Yields 8 servings

For Champagne Gelée:
1 cup granulated sugar
3 cups Champagne or other sparkling wine
1 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (less than 3 envelopes)
1 tablespoon strained fresh lemon juice

For lychee compote:
2 lbs. fresh lychees or 2 (15-oz) can, rinsed and drained
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 pint raspberries

Make gelée:
1) Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan and line with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang.  Combine sugar an 1 1/2 cups Champagne in a small saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over mixture.  Let gelatin stand 1 minute to soften.

2) Cook over moderate heat, gently stirring occasionally (vigorous stirring will cause too much foam), just until sugar and gelatin are dissolved.

3) Slowly pour into a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool, stirring occasionally.  Slowly add lemon juice and remaining 1 1/2 cups Champagne, stirring just until combined.  Let stand 5 minutes, then skim off foam.

4) Continue to cool mixture, gently stirring occasionally, until it mounds slightly, about 20 minutes.  Transfer to baking pan and chill, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours.

Make compote while gelée chills:
1) Peel lychees.  Make lengthwise slit in each and remove pit, leaving pulp as intact as possible.

2) Heat lychees, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.  Transfer to a medium bowl and chill at least 2 hours.

Just before serving:
1) Invert gelée onto a cutting board, discarding plastic wrap, then trim edges.  Cut gelée into 1/2-inch cubes and add to compote with raspberries.  Gently mix with a rubber spatula.  Divide into 8 dishes and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I love how festive and deliciously refreshing it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Mmm...edible champagne with raspberries. I'm completely inspired!

    ReplyDelete