Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chocolate Pot de Creme


























I am exhausted.  I had two very productive days of shopping the after-Thanksgiving sales in Oregon with zero percent sales tax (woo hoo!!).  Add onto that a 6:00 am flight back home today, which means I've been up and about since 3:30 this morning.  I'm bordering on being in a zombie-like state right now.  I told MAC earlier tonight, as he was laying very tiredly on the sofa, to start thinking about getting ready for bed.  Then I looked at the clock.  It said 6:22 pm. Ha ha!  We both had a good laugh, then perked up a little.  We refused to succumb to 72-year old behavior just yet.









Even though I am sitting here with my eyes drooping, I'm writing this post to help keep myself awake.  In fact, I could really use one of these chocolate packed desserts to give me a nice little caffeine buzz, but they're all gone.  Eaten.  And they were delicious.  Just as well, though.  Last week I had one of these for dessert after dinner and couldn't fall asleep until about 1:00 am. I'm a caffeine light-weight, or "cheap date" as some of you might say.  There's a lot of chocolate in this recipe, so if you are like me, heed this warning.


I didn't know that making pot de creme would be so easy!  It's the quickest dessert I've made so far, minus the chill time, but it packs a whole lot of WOW-factor.  Just be sure to use good quality chocolate, since that's the star ingredient.  You can use either bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate for this recipe.  I used bittersweet chocolate with 60% cacao, and it was simply divine.  The bitterness of the cacao is perfectly offset with the cream and sugar, so you're left with a silky, decadent, and chocolatey custard that's not excessively sweet.  



Also, don't go reaching for the pre-made cans or tubs of whipped cream in the dairy aisle.  It's a waste of your calories and you deserve much better than that.  I know, it's a lot of fun to squirt that can of Reddi-Whip on everything, but don't do that.  Please.  Making homemade whipped cream is so quick and easy, and a hundred times more delicious.  I promise.  Save the Reddi-Whip for your hair.  I hear you can use it for a conditioner.


Chocolate Pot de Creme
from Entertaining with Beth
Makes six 7-ounce ramekins

2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
5 ounces (141g) bittersweet chocolate at least 60% cacao, roughly chopped (or semi-sweet chocolate)
5 eggs yolks
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 300 F degrees.

2. In a medium saucepan, combine heavy cream and milk, heat until simmering.  Add the chocolate and whisk until melted.  Allow to cool slightly.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  Slowly add the chocolate mixture, whisking until combined.  Strain through a fine mesh strainer.  Pour the mixture evenly into the ramekins, about 3/4 of the way up.

4. Place ramekins in a roasting pan, and place in the oven.  Fill the roasting pan with hot water, until it reaches half-way up the ramekins

5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until custards are set.  Top with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

For the Whipped Cream:

1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
1 tbsp (6g) powdered sugar
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whip with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.

1 comment: