Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chocolate Toffee Cookies


Back in August, I wanted to do something special for MAC's co-workers since they've been very supportive of him over the last several months, but I wasn't sure what it was. I knew, from MAC, that they all love the 4C's.  I'm talking about the sweeter, edible 4C's - candy, chocolate, cookies, and cupcakes.  I thought about having some gourmet cookies or cupcakes delivered to them.  But, somehow I didn't feel that charging something on my credit card was a suitable expression of my appreciation.  That seemed a little too easy and effortless.  So, I decided to employ one of my favorite beliefs.  I believe that one of the best ways to show your gratitude or affection to people is to make them something with your own hands.    

I was never an avid baker.  I baked once, maybe twice, a year, and it was mostly the stuff that comes in a box or a tube.  Don't judge me.  I really thought it was a good thing.  But, I had planned to bake more. I wanted to. I even registered for an electric hand mixer for our wedding.....and was lucky enough to get it.  So, now I had everything I needed to expand my baking repertoire, except for a few key ingredients, which I could easily pick up at the grocery store.  The hard part is actually doing it, but I did.  After that, I didn't have any excuses.  Now I had to bake something.  



The first time I baked these cookies was the first time I've ever made cookies from scratch. The name of these cookies is what got me.  Chocolate and toffee in a cookie?  Yes, please! So, I gathered all my ingredients and set them in front of me.  I dug out my mixing bowls in the bottom of my kitchen cabinets.  I broke out my shiny, new electric hand mixer that sat in a sealed box for ten months. Then, I started with step 1.  Ok, it wasn't bad.  In fact, it was pretty darn easy.  Step 2 called for packed brown sugar.  If I remember correctly, all I needed to do when packing the brown sugar was to measure it into a cup and press it down with the heel of my hand.  Press it down firmly.  Like, put your whole weight into it, so that your feet are dangling off the ground.  Then, repeat with more sugar to top off the measurement.  Ok, that was't bad either, even though I worked up a little sweat.  Onto step 3.  No tricks there, except having to wait for the cookies to cool.  But, the recipe says these are even better when cooled, so just keep reminding yourself of that.  And, don't be afraid to smack any hands who try to sneak one past you.  

After restlessly waiting and staring longingly at the cookies, MAC and I finally took our first bites.  Whoa!  The cookies were......sweet.  Really sweet.  Not inedibly sweet, and still quite delicious. But, gosh they were sweet.  It had to be something wrong with the amount of sugar. Did I read the recipe wrong?  No, I specifically remembered adding 1 3/4 cups of packed brown sugar since it took me quite a bit of effort to pack it.  Could it be that I packed it wrong?  I guess it was possible. I was only 47% sure that my packing technique was legit.  I knew Google would tell me, though.  So, I looked it up.

I was thoroughly amused by what I found.  Apparently, you're not supposed to pack brown sugar by leaning your whole body into it.  You're actually supposed to use the back of a spoon to press gently down and not use a lot of force.  Oooops!  But, it wasn't bad for my first cookie.  Plus, I achieved what I wanted to do.  MAC's co-workers loved them, and I was happy to gift them something that I made with my own hands.  Needless to say, these cookies ignited my newfound passion for baking.  I also took some of these to my co-workers, and they also raved about it.  I got four requests for the recipe that day!  So, go ahead and show someone some gratitude and bake them a batch.  Just remember what I told you about how not to pack the brown sugar.  



Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Yields about 35 cookies

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped or chips
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 1.4-ounce chocolate covered English toffee bars, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
Flaky sea salt for sprinkling (optional)

1.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir chocolate and butter in a heat-proof container atop a small saucepan of simmering water, until melted and smooth.  Remove the bowl from heat.  Cool the chocolate mixture to lukewarm.

2. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in a bowl until thick, about 5 minutes.  Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.  Stir in flour mixture until incorporated.  Add toffee and walnuts and mix to distribute evenly.  Chill the batter in the freezer until firm, about 45 minutes

3. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.  Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.  Drop batter by spoonfuls onto baking sheets, 2-inches apart.  Sprinkle the top with a pinch of flaky sea salt, if using. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the tops are dry and cracked, but the cookies are still soft to touch.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment