Saturday, November 9, 2013

Rose Meringue Buttercream Macarons

Until you've made your own macarons, you will never understand why people become so crazy when it comes to baking them.  We spend every chance we get trying different recipes, different flavors, different mixing techniques, different ratios of ingredients, different baking temperatures, time after time, making them over and over until they are exactly perfect.  Then, we repeat the entire process over again because while we may have gotten them perfect once, doesn't mean we've finally mastered the macaron.  These cookies are notoriously finicky, and in fact, it will most likely take more than a few attempts to replicate that perfect cookie again, and we are ever so willing to subject ourselves to it with steadfast smiles and clean spatulas in hand.  No, it's not OCD.  It's just a normal, run-of-the-mill obsession.  Really.  We are perfectly sane and reasonable people, who have very good reasons for behaving this way.  Or, at least I do.  



Reason #1: These cookies are insanely delicious.  With rich buttercream or silky ganache sandwiched between almond meringue cookies, they're easily one of my favorite desserts.  And, the flavor possibilities are endless!

Reason #2: They are simply lovely to look at.  Sometimes I like to just stare at them in their beautiful array of colors, which always makes me giddy with happiness.  I know some of you like doing that, too.  Admit it.   

Reason #3: It was on my "honey-do" list.  My dear husband doesn't ask a lot from me, so when he does, I try my best to oblige.  Macarons were at the top of his list of things for me to bake as soon as I got my shiny, red KitchenAid stand mixer.  So, I can't very well serve him cracked, footless, or burnt macarons, agreed?

And, perhaps the most important.... 

Reason #4: I refuse to let a little cookie beat me.  Period.  


These pink beauties were the result of my fifth attempt at macaron making.  I had made lemon, chocolate, earl grey, and raspberry prior to these.  The raspberry one were the most unappealing macarons I've ever seen and tasted.  I really don't want to talk about them.  But, for your sake, let me just say that you should never try to add freeze-dried raspberries into the shells.  Never.  Ever.

So, I knew I had to redeem myself with another batch.  All I wanted was a macaron that tasted good.  Even if it came out with cracks or no frilly feet, I just wanted something that was yummy to make me forget all about my raspberry failure.  Well, these pretty, stellar, little things did just the trick!  Do you see them?  Do you see the perfectly ruffled feet and the shiny, smooth shells?  And that color!  I must say  I did quite a good job at mixing the perfect rose hue.  I couldn't help from jumping up and down from excitement and squealing with joy when I saw them rising in the oven.  MAC told me to "calm down."  Calm down?  Really?  He just doesn't understand...


Rose Meringue Buttercream Macarons
Makes 25 macarons

For the shells:
75 g egg whites at room temperature
100 g almond flour
120 g confectioner's sugar
60 g granulated sugar
pink and purple gel coloring

1. Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.  Fit a piping bag with a #12 tip and set it aside.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Sift together almond flour and confectioner's sugar and set aside.  You may grind any large pieces in a food processor and sift it back into the mixture.

3. In bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites and granulated sugar.  Stir on medium-low until foamy, about 3 minutes.  Increase the speed to medium and beat until soft peaks, about 3 minutes.  Increase the speed to medium-high until stiff peaks, about 3 minutes.  Stop the mixer, and add in pink and purple gel coloring to obtain your desired color.  Beat for 1 minute on high to incorporate the color evenly throughout the meringue.

4.  Remove the bowl from the stand mixer.  Add in all of the dry almond flour mixture into the meringue.  Fold the dry mixture in with a spatula.  Smooth the batter up the sides of the bowl and scrape the bottom.  The goal is to get out some of the air, but be careful not to over mix the batter too thin.  The consistency of the batter should be smooth and thick, but still flowing.  A ribbon drawn across the batter should disappear in 25 seconds.

5.  Spoon the batter into the piping bag.  Evenly pipe 1 1/2 inch circles 1 inch apart onto the baking sheets.  Tap the baking sheets on the counter to allow any air bubbles to rise out of the piped batter.  Allow the batter to dry undisturbed for 30 minutes or until won't stick to your finger.

6. Bake one tray at a time on the middle rack for 2 minutes.  Prop open the oven door with a wooden spoon and bake for another 10-12 minutes.  Turn the tray around at the halfway mark for even baking.  The top of the shells will be firm to the touch when they are done.

7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.

For the meringue buttercream filling:
50 g sugar
1 egg white
75 g butter at room temperature, cubed
1/2 Tablespoon rosewater

1. Place sugar and egg whites in a large heatproof bowl. Put the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk continuously until the sugar is dissolved.  The egg mixture will be thick and sticky.

2. Place the egg white mixture into a bowl of a stand mixer.  Using the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on medium-high speed until it's glossy with stiff peaks. The meringue will be cool at this point.

3.  Change to the paddle attachment and continue beating meringue at medium-high speed.  Slowly add the butter one cube at a time until blended and the buttercream is very smooth.

4.  Add the rosewater to the buttercream and mix well.

5.  Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag with a plain tip.  Pipe a coin of buttercream onto the underside of a macaron shell and gently press another shell on top. Repeat for the other macaron shells.  Macarons get better with age, up to 7 days in the fridge in an airtight container.  Bring to room temperature before enjoying.

5 comments:

  1. Christi....LOVE your blog! Ive always wanted to do a blog but it takes soooo much time and effort so I applaud you!!! Mike and I wish we could be taste testers too as everything looks so yummy! I look forward to all the future posts and recipes! Good to hear you are taking good care of the Changer! He is a lucky man! <3 ManD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D! You SHOULD do a blog! I'm sure it would be so much fun to read! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures! Your macarons look like the ones you buy at 'lette. And the rose meringue sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherri! The rose macarons are my favorite!

      Delete